Doctors say the year-old Russian girl had been chewing on her own hair for more a decade, due to a condition called Rapunzel syndrome, and, as a result, the massive ball had collected in her stomach. A shocking photo shows the size of the mass of hair removed from inside the teen, following emergency surgery in Tomsk, Siberia. Medics operating on the teen found that her stomach was 80 per cent filled with hair, which was posing a major threat to her health. The human stomach isn't able to digest hair, doctors said, so when large amounts are swallowed, like in this case, it accumulates and can turn into a giant clump. Doctor-in-chief Andrey Karavaev said her gastrointestinal tract was in danger of being completely blocked, so it required urgent surgery at the Emergency Medicine Clinic Number Two, in Tomsk. The unnamed teen is now said to be recovering well and 'feels much better' after the hair ball was removed.
Doctors treating girl, 8, with stomach pain find 3lb HAIRBALL in her stomach
Doctors found undigested bubble tea balls in teen girl's stomach - INSIDER
Global Times Doctors removed a 1-pound mass of hair from the stomach of a year-old Chinese girl, Global Times reports. The doctors diagnosed the girl with pica , a disorder where people — usually women and children — compulsively consume non-food items. The girl had apparently been losing weight and her long hair for months. CT scans revealed a foot-long mass, which took up most of her stomach. The screen cap to the right was the hairball from the girl, but here's a close-up picture of a similar one, which takes the shape of the stomach:. Its onset is often associated with "significant social stressors," according to The American Journal of Psychiatry. For people with trichophagia, the formation of a hair ball in the stomach called a trichobezoar is a rare but serious risk that can be fatal if left undetected.
Doctors Remove Massive Hairball From Girl's Stomach
Feifei, from Guangdong, southern China, had been pulling her hair out and eating it since she was two years old. A young girl who spent years chewing at her locks has had a massive 1. The eight-year-old, known as Feifei, had been eating her own hair since she was two years of age. But at the beginning of February, she fell ill for a week with symptoms of vomiting and severe stomach ache.
The six-year-old was taken to hospital suffering from abdominal pain and persistent vomiting for three to four days. The girl, from India, needed surgery to remove the mass to allow food to pass through her digestive system again. Upon removal the hairball weighed 4lbs, measured 11cm by 16cm where it had been in the stomach and the "tail" that followed through her intestines measured an incredible 1. There were no complications after her surgery but her parents were advised she should receive counselling for the disorder and eat a high-protein diet to gain weight. The condition tends to be diagnosed more commonly in girls than boys, and can cause negative feelings of guilt, shame and embarrassment.